Print this post

5/2/13

I'm Sorry . . .


Somewhere lost in our list of vocabulary words over the course of time seems to be the words, 
"I'm sorry."  One of my recent all time favorite decals has been this:   


In our household, we are real, we do make mistakes, but we say, I'm sorry and we forgive.  We do really loud, we are patient and we LOVE.  One of the best gifts we could have give our children was to lead by example and as Martin Luther King Jr. quotes "Forgiveness for us is not an occasional act, but is a constant attitude."  I'm sure our children will recall during their younger years, their Daddy making them hold hands for a period of time until forgiveness set in.  It's the most amazing thing, how quickly they were then willing to forgive and forget!

Bishop T.D. Jakes says it best, 'unforgiveness unchecked becomes a cancer in the soul.' Unforgiveness doesn't stay in one isolated area where it started; it spreads into other areas of life.  It begins to affect our children, relationships, moods and behavior.  It eats up personality and creativity. Unforgiveness empowers history at the expense of destiny!  That's too much of a price for me to pay!

Most of the time, we will have to forgive, not because we feel like it, but simply because the Word says we must and every time it must be an act of faith.  And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.  But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses, Mark 11:25-26.  I decided a long time ago, that an apology doesn't always mean I'm wrong, it simply means I value my relationships, my children, my marriage, my future and destiny more than my ego!

People are often unreasonable and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you.  Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow.  Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough.  Give your best anyway.  
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.           Mother Teresa

Make a confession to activate the power of forgiveness:  Father, in the Name of Jesus, I make a fresh commitment to You to live in peace and harmony - with my brothers and sisters in the body of Christ, with my friends, associates and family.  I let go of all bitterness, resentment and unkindness in any form.  Father, I ask Your forgiveness.  By faith I receive it.  As I forgive and release all who have wronged and hurt me, I ask You to forgive and release them, in Jesus' Name.      

Mary McIver
                

        

16 comments:

  1. Thank you Pastor Mary for reminding us of the word "forgiveness."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Tami! A NOW word for the entire Body of Christ ;)

      Delete
  2. Amen! Well said, words to live by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes thank you for that we say we forgive but truly do harbor the bitterness of the pain but today I am declaring and decreeing that I am truly free, forgave, forgot and truly let it go love and miss you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES for freedom Sherrie! We miss you too! Love you!

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful and I will take the teachings with me through life. My favorite is saying im sorry does not mean you are wrong, it means you value the relationship. Thanks Pastor Mary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Susan! God is so good to give us these precious nuggets in life!

      Delete
  5. This article caused me to do some deep soul searching about things from my past. Have I truly forgiven everyone, including myself? It was a good reminder that my past also has many blessings as well as hurts! Those blessings were because of forgiveness!
    Thank you, Pastor Mary, for this awesome teaching! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your welcome Joyce! Thanks for sharing the piece about deep soul searching - good stuff! No more blessing blockers - amen and amen! Love you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You speak truth here with the statement, "I decided a long time ago, that an apology doesn't always mean I'm wrong, it simply means I value my relationships, my children, my marriage, my future and destiny more than my ego!"

    Or, as I read somewhere, "Sometimes 'having a relationship' is more important than 'being right'."

    There are lots of people that I don't see eye-to-eye with, politically, or otherwise, but we all must learn to love one another and be respectful in the way we interact with them.

    Well written.
    <3 you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right; learning to love and respect (daily)! <3 too!

      Delete
  8. True forgiveness is definitely way more involved than I'm sorry, but it starts there. Thanks for the reminder Pastor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! I am going to read this to my children today! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete