Print this post

8/8/13

Laughter Matters in Marriage



“I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.”  Audrey Hepburn

I love people who make me laugh.  I honestly think it’s the thing that I like most, when my husband makes me laugh.  A happy heart is good medicine in a marriage.  Sometimes, I just take myself too seriously!  God knew just what I needed – my husband to be born with a silly bone and to have a great sense of humor built right into the fabric of who he is. 

Throughout our years of marriage, my husband has always been at the center of humorous, practical jokes in our family, goofing around with the kids, doing something silly and an unforgettable laugh that definitely has been passed on!  Laughter has been one of the contagious elements in our nearly 26 years,  Happy Marriage Formula.’   Matter of fact, as I type this blog, I can hear each one of my children’s unique laugh.  I can hear my daughter Debbie’s laugh now!  Debbie has such an exclusive laugh, it was the only way we could find her in a grocery store ~ follow the laugh (true story!) 

Laughter Matters in Marriage!

Laughter is a strong medicine!  Proverbs 17:22 (Knox) clearly states, a cheerful heart makes a quick recovery.   It’s a powerful antidote to stress, pain, and conflict.  God so fearfully and wonderfully made us that He approached even the smallest details with excellence; knowing laughter would trigger the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals.  Did you know that a good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes later?  Plus, here’s a bonus ladies, a good belly laugh decreases stress hormones – now that’s the wonder and awe of our God!  

He knew that humor would lighten the burden, enhance our relationship and keep us focused and alert, a necessary element in a happy marriage!    Take note the next time you laugh; nothing works faster or more dependably to bring your mind and body back into a balance than a good laugh.

Here are a few reflections I’d like to share:

Couples heading for an argument or disagreement, here’s a secret:  Humor and laughter can scatter tension and diffuse anger.

Couples who have been married for many golden years have learned that a special touch, a squeeze of the hand, a smile and a fun, playful laugh can diffuse possible tension.

I have fond memories of experiences of laughter in our family and marriage.  We’ve learned some lessons along the way.  One of them is to not become so obsessed with work and ministry that we forget to laugh in our home and with our family! 

So, lighten up on yourself and your family!  Relax, smile quickly and learn to laugh a lot.  A joy-filled heart is curative balm!       

Mary McIver





14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Joyce - Thanks! Bishop taught me how to laugh more (hahahahah!)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome!! Great advice mom!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! I still remember your laugh and your smile! Smiles Deasha! Glad you enjoyed the article advice! See you soon!

      Delete
  3. Yes I agree with you whole heartily just to share something was getting ready to escalate and I started laughing and it was shut down love and miss you pastor wisdom ( ) () ()() hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back to you Sherrie! I'm sure you recall Bishop's laugh! He's a great example of keeping it light and fun! :O)

      Delete
  4. Great blog pastor Mary, awesome words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another amazing article from my Pastor Mary! Thank you for always looking out for us and providing great words of wisdom and setting the best example. Keep laughing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always looking out for our wonderful family/partners is a pure joy! I see your one of a kind smile now! :) Hahahahahahahaha!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful article Mom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Ashley! Some great future advice for a successful marriage! Laugh alot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true! Laughter, humor, fun ... all so very important in life and in marriage! Thanks for being an example of this to me. You and Dad really do "LIVE" this out every day. Thanks mom! Love you!
    ~ Niki Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Niki! I learned how to laugh more from Dad! He always keeps something going (every day)! Glad you enjoyed the blog! ~Love you!

    ReplyDelete